Easy Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
Easy Wraps make a Great MealThis quick and easy no-cook wrap is perfect for lunch…. or for dinner when you come home so hungry or late that you’re tempted to order take-out. The combination of the feta cheese with the lemon and veggies is divine! It’s versatile too. You can leave out the chicken if you prefer to go meat-free, and you can swap in any veggies that you have in your fridge. We recommend that you make a batch of our homemade hummus (only takes 10 minutes!) and then store it in the fridge for emergencies.
Are Wraps Healthier than Bread?Many people assume that eating a wrap is automatically healthier than eating a sandwich. You may be surprised to find that this is not always the case!
Higher in nutrition? Or lower?The truth is that wraps can be higher or lower in nutritional value than bread, depending on the kinds you are considering eating! Wraps can suffer from the same unfortunate and unhealthy additives as bread. These include added sugar, added additives, added chemicals, and other things that you don't want to be consuming on a regular basis! Don't rely on the marketing claims on the front of the package. You will want to read the nutrition labels on your tortilla just as you would on your loaf of bread. Avoid anything you cannot pronounce and large amounts of added sugar. One reason that the finished wrap is often healthier than a similar sandwich is that a wrap gives you much more space to work with. Generally, you can stuff far more salad, lettuce, vegetables, and other delicious & nutritious foods into a wrap than you can layer onto two pieces of bread. This is your goal, then. Use all that extra space to really pile on the veggies and other health-promotion foods like beans and fruits.
Higher in calories? Or lower?Wraps have an aura of health surrounding them. For this reason, many people assume that they are low in calories. The truth is that depending on the brand, type, and size, tortillas have a very wide range of calories. They can be higher or lower than bread! Wraps tend to be lower than a sub sandwich roll but often higher than two slices of loaf bread. We recommend that you don't worry too much about calories, however. The Mediterranean Diet is health-promoting and studies have shown that eating the kind of food on a Mediterranean Diet tends to naturally lead to weight loss if you have weight to lose.
What is the best kind of tortilla or wrap?Here is what we recommend. Look for tortillas that are whole wheat or whole grain. Avoid anything with additives, chemicals, or tons of added sugar. We love Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas, but there are tons of other options on the market. Then add in as many vegetables as you can!
Love our content? Make sure to join our email list. You'll get all our best stuff, plus exclusive content and deals.
Easy Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
This quick and easy no-cook wrap is perfect for lunch…. or for dinner when you come home so hungry or late that you’re tempted to order take-out. The combination of the feta cheese with the lemon and veggies is divine! It’s versatile too. You can leave out the chicken if you prefer to go meat-free, and you can swap in any veggies that you have in your fridge. We recommend that you make a batch of our homemade hummus (only takes 10 minutes!) and then store it in the fridge for emergencies.
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas or wraps
- 1/4 cup clean ingredient, store-bought hummus (or our homemade hummus!)
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups leafy greens, such as romaine or arugula
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced very small
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- optional: salt, to taste
- optional: aluminum foil or cling wrap
- Spread half the hummus on each wrap (about 1/8 cup of hummus on each wrap).
- Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients, olives through feta cheese, in the wrap.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on top and finish with a sprinkle of salt. Roll each wrap tightly.
- Optional step: Put down two pieces of aluminum foil or cling wrap. Put one wrap flat on each piece. After you add in all the ingredients, the aluminum foil will allow you to roll the wrap tightly and eat it, even if the ingredients are more plentiful than the wrap can hold. Once you roll the wrap, tuck the extra foil around the bottom to prevent drips.