Mediterranean Egg Muffin Cups
Mediterranean Egg Muffin CupsMakes 6 eggs cups What are Egg Muffin Cups? Some call them egg cups, some call them egg muffins, but those who eat them know how fabulously portable and deliciously filling these little breakfast stars are! Gluten-free, high in protein, and packed with healthy vegetables, these little muffins can be great as a snack to hold you over until dinner or first thing in the morning as a very satiating breakfast.
How do I make them?Eggs muffin cups are easy to make and can use up any veggies that you have in the fridge! Feel free to experiment with abandon to find a combination that you love. This recipe is as easy as adding chopped vegetables to a muffin tin. Then, simply layer the eggs on top. Pop in the oven for a bit and you are done! They keep for several days in the fridge and reheat beautifully in the microwave. Does the Mediterranean Diet recommend that I eat eggs? The Mediterranean Diet generally recommends eating egg yolks sparingly, to get some of the benefits without too much cholesterol. Experts recommend that most healthy people eat two or three egg yolks per week. (Make sure to listen to your doctor regarding your particular health.) Egg cups are great with half whole eggs and half egg whites or with only whites. See which way you like them best!
Make them your own
You can personalize egg cups, to suit your own preferences. You can add cheese or omit it altogether, based on whether you prefer to eat dairy. Feel free to go nuts with the vegetables! This particular flavor combination is a fairly traditional Mediterranean flavor profile. We also love Mexican Egg Cups with sautéed peppers, onions, and corn, as well as mushrooms, spinach, and goat cheese. I love to use leftover vegetables this way, so we sometimes end up with some pretty wacky combos. You know what? You almost can’t go wrong with eggs and cheese. Happily, many kids even love eating these cute little egg muffin cups, provided that you use vegetables that they enjoy. Looking for more awesome Mediterranean Diet breakfast recipe? Check out some of our favorites here!
Mediterranean Egg Muffin Cups
Eggs muffin cups are easy to make and can use up any veggies that you have in the fridge! Feel free to experiment with abandon to find a combination that you love. This recipe is as easy as adding chopped vegetables to a muffin tin. Then, simply layer the eggs on top. Pop in the oven for a bit and you are done!
- 3 large whole eggs and 6 egg whites, blended together
- 1.5 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 0.5 cup bell peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 TBS feta cheese, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick oil spray.
- Add an equal amount of the veggies and feta to the bottom of each muffin tin.
- Blend egg whites with yolks, either by whisking in a bowl or popping in the blender for a few seconds (which makes them particularly fluffy). Pour the eggs into the greased muffin tin, about 1/6 for each muffin tin.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes (you want the eggs to be cooked through. The amount of water in your veggies can impact cooking time…we find that poking a knife in the center of one is a good way to tell if they are done.)
- These are perfect for breakfast or a quick snack! You can reheat them in the microwave.